Follow my blog to get healthy, delicious recipes and fun fitness tips!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Super, Super, Seaweed

If you read a lot of articles/books/etc., you will already know that seaweed is a wondrously healthy food. But just what benefits can this under-the-sea plant give you? Keep reading, and you'll find out :)
Just about every vitamin and mineral required by the human body are found in this salty sea veggie, including: calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, iodine, iron, zinc, Vitamin A (as beta-carotene), B1, B2, B6, niacin, Vitamin C, pantothenic acid, and folic acid.
Seaweed feeds the shafts and the ducts of the scalp to help improve the health of the hair. Studies show that the minerals in seaweed are vital for healthy hair growth.
Seaweed and seaweed extract helps in the detoxification of the body, as well as being benificial for skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Seanol, a powerful antioxidant from seaweed, boosts energy and mental clarity while speeding up the metabolism. WHO KNEW?!
There are so many ways to incorporate the all-amazing seaweed into your daily diet.
This afternoon, for example, I snacked on an Annie Chun's Sesame Seaweed Snack:
Annie Chun's sesame Seaweed snack

The all-famous sushi, of course: 
So, now that we all know what seaweed can do for our health, let's grab some sushi and eat up!

Stay happy and healthy 
:D

4 comments:

  1. I HATE fish, but I will eat just rice and vegies wrapped in seaweed. My friend used to bring seaweed strips as a snack and she would always share them with me. I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I love sushi! My absolute favorite is salmon/avocado. Those sesame seaweed snacks look great. Where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I got the nut butter at a super targ! And I loove sushi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I talk about seaweed when I give my vegan/vegetarian store tours. The only thing is that you need a lot to get any substantial benefits. So eating sushi wouldn't really give you enough seaweed, unfortunately. But, it's still tasty!

    ReplyDelete